Sunday, September 1, 2013

Goodbye Summer!

The last two weeks of summer were crammed full of fun!  We had our second week of swim lessons (sadly, no pictures, I got sick the last few days and it was all I could do to get them there and back home).  We also had fun doing our last craft of the summer - everyone got to pick their own.  Everyone picked out a birdhouse to paint (they were fancy birdhouses) except for Anna Elise who chose to do a latch hook rug. Calvin was able to go swimming with his friend a couple of times, we went to Busch Gardens one more time, we had a 'friend' day (actually I was asked to babysit for two different families on the same day - it just so happens that with the two families everyone had a friend) so I had 11 kids at my house for most of the morning (note: I'm glad I don't really have 11 kids!).  We had more orthodontist appointments and went to the school to meet our new teachers and drop off our school supplies one afternoon.

Mike and I were able to attend the BYU v. UVA game in Charlottesville.  It was CrAzY!  Mike got the tickets as a surprise anniversary gift for me.  I was SO excited.  I haven't been to a BYU game since I was an undergraduate student at BYU years ago (we'll just say lots of years ago, no need to count them =) ).  We got a sitter, drove the hour to Charlottesville, managed to get parked in all the craziness of 'game day' in a small town and hike to the stadium.  It was so fun to see so many people wear their blue BYU shirts!  After a frustrating first quarter they announced a lightening warning and evacuated the stadium.  We were told to return to our cars.  Since we parked a mile away, we found cover across the street at the UVA bookstore.  After lots of thunder and lightening and a rain storm we wandered back to the stadium, but still had to wait for the lightening in the distance to finally stop before they let us back in and resumed the game.  Right around half time it started pouring rain.  By the time I made my way to cover - I was soaking wet and the cover was all taken.  We debated about leaving, but I was already wet so why leave?  I had to keep wiping water out of my eyes as we stood in the rain and watched the teams try to play.  It was ridiculous.  Every step produced a spray of water.  Nobody could hold onto the ball!  It finally stopped raining and there was some really good action.  Unfortunately we lost - but I had a blast.  I'm happy to report I still remember the fight song =)  It was good to hear it again!  Goooooo Cougars!



 Eating watermelon from our garden for FHE


Our crafts






Celeste has been begging for pony tails, so we put some in.  As bald as all my girls have been, Celeste has less hair then any of them.  She also seems to have some curl  (hopefully it stays)!


Calvin's lego tower.  He had his little legos taken away for a week, so had to resort to playing with the big legos.  The babysitter helped him with this tower while we were at the BYU game.



4 comments:

Jana said...

What a dedicated fan!! Your summer looks fun!

Sara R said...

good times!

Trina said...

What a fun and busy summer and what a crazy football game. You are a devoted fan to stay through all that weather. I am sure it will always be a a good memory and story to tell!

Betsy said...

Love your dedication to BYU