Sunday, September 27, 2009

What Happened?

Since Anna Elise has started school the whole dynamic of our family has shifted. For all of you who told me that it would be easier with only 3 - you were all wrong! Very wrong! In fact, life has gotten much more hectic! I am hoping it's a temporary situation, that as we adjust to Anna Elise being in school, things will get better - so we'll see!

Anna Elise loves school and is happy to go every day. She is making friends, doing all her work, and getting good marks for behavior. However, school wears her out! She comes home tired - but doesn't want to take a nap - so that means she turns into a grouch as soon as she walks in the door. Nothing is right or good enough, she is too mature to play with her siblings and she doesn't like help with her homework (but can't do it alone since she can't read directions yet.) This is something that I think just needs time and she will adjust and hopefully be back to her happy self.

For the kids left at home there have been big changes. Anna Elise was always in charge when the kids played, she kind of led what they played and how. Calvin immediately took up the reigns when she left and is taking us for a ride. He is now in charge and you wouldn't believe what they are doing now (or if you know Calvin, then maybe you would). I find Madeline up on top of shelves and bookcases and nobody knows how she got there. Lilah has magically learned to climb up on beds and other things all by herself. Calvin is just being 'helpful' and wants the girls to keep up with him even when it's better that they don't. One day they emptied my pantry and part of my refrigerator into Anna Elise's room. The bag of rice spilled and they gorged themselves on fruit snacks but other then that it wasn't too bad. I needed to organize the shelves anyway. For days after I had them put it all back we'd find cans of food in really odd places.




On another day Calvin came running into the kitchen to tell me Madeline had drawn on the wall with a marker. What he didn't tell me was that he drew all over the wall first and then gave her the marker. There was writing up higher then Madeline can reach and there were perfectly closed circles and dots that I know Madeline can't make. We had a long talk about markers. Apparently it wasn't long enough. The next day they got different markers (I didn't know I had so many in my house) and wrote all over their bellies and faces and finished the mural on the wall. They were in time out for a VERY long time for that one. I'm a little bit scared of what next week will bring. What will this new leader of mine think of next? I'm not sure if this is something that we will all adjust to - this could go on for the whole year!





Madeline wanders around the house saying "when I am 5 I will get on the bus and go to school" and "I love Anna Elise, I miss her - I don't like Calvin".

I have had an adjustment too. We've done pretty good with getting her on the bus every morning. We have only missed the bus once and that is because I didn't set my alarm. Ask my mom how good I am about catching the school bus - I think I "ran for it" every morning! Getting her off the bus in the afternoon is another story. I have a really hard time keeping track of time and being outside before the bus gets to our stop. Anna Elise can't get off unless someone is there to get her. I haven't ever been so late that they have taken her back to school but here is where I have to 'run for it'. Also, I miss having her around. I don't feel like I get to interact with her much and I miss that.

I'm sure we will all adjust and life is about changing - so we'll make this work! It's just not what I expected!

10 comments:

Twinlinebackers said...

Oh you poor poor thing. I found it really helpful to lock up our toys. Have you considered locking up Calvin? =>
Is it horrible to laugh at your plight and think "See? I knew it was easier to homeschool!"

I am SURE things will get better. Eventually your oldest will get used to the schedule, all your fruit snacks will be gone and you'll have tossed all the markers. I'm sure there isn't anything else they could possibly get into!

When my kids used to do stuff like this my husband would always say "Weren't you watching them?" I think only a mother can understand what you're going through. I have never had quite so many so young but when my twins were younger they got into plenty of trouble including flood my kitchen with water, grape juice and apple juice more times than I'd like to remember.

Hang in there. You'll live. (I have handcuffs if you'd like to borrow them).

Stephanie said...

Just think, he'll be going to school in a year and the teacher will have to deal with his brilliant plans. I'm sorry Sally but I laughed so hard. I also want to know where you were when they were doing this because that is a lot of food!

Sally said...

OK - I realize that they do their best work when I'm not paying attention. Calvin unloaded my kitchen when I was on my 2/week morning walk and Dad was "watching" him and they used the markers while I was cleaning the kitchen.

Betsy said...

They are too funny. I can't believe how capable Lillah is already, I think your in trouble.

Twinlinebackers said...

Hold on. Just to be clear, I was NOT wondering where Sally was. A mother cannot possibly watch her children all the time. When is she supposed to clean the kitchen or go potty or read a book or ???

Trina said...

It is never the same when they start going to school. Even though your days with the younger 3 are hectic and FULL of surprises, cherish them because once they go to school time speeds up. It is hard to be on a school schedule. Just wait until next year when Anna Elise goes to school all day. I always look forward to summer vacation. Keep us posted on what Calvin comes up with next. Hopefully Madeline doesn't learn Calvin's tricks and carries on the madness next year.

Sunshine said...

You know that's how things are here too. When Eli was at Scout camp for a week. Everyone was miserable. They're a little bit older but nobody was happy to have Eli gone.
Homeschooling can be easeir:)

marcalicious said...

ha ha ha ha!!! that is funny sally!!! i love it. Good luck. :)

Jana said...

Hang in there Sally! I cannot imagine how different life will be when Parker starts school....sad day.

Jessica said...

Homework time is one of the HARDEST times of the day for me. I thought that if Eden was gone at school all day she would be so happy to see me that she would cheerfully spend time with me. NOT SO! She is so grouchy and as I try to help her get her homework done I think I'm going to wring someone's neck...her's or mine, it goes back and forth.