Tuesday, March 2, 2010

What's Next?

I seem to be having a string of bad luck for the passed 2 weeks and I need it to stop now! I keep thinking "what could possibly go wrong next?" and then something else bad happens. So maybe venting about it here will stop the bad luck?!
  • It started two weeks ago when I lost my wedding ring. Technically I lost my engagement ring, the wedding band isn't connected and I still have it. It somehow fell off my finger. I haven't found it yet.
  • I went visiting teaching to a less active older woman. We've been before and she seems receptive and pleased to see us. When I call her she seems happy to set up an appointment. The next evening while Mike was gone her grown son called me and chewed me out! He was swearing and very angry and most likely drunk or high. He didn't like me, the church, his mamma's home teacher or the missionaries and told me that we all needed to stay away. Since he lives with his mom, I think I'll listen to him. I'd rather not run into him. After I hung up I locked all the doors!
  • We found out this weekend that one of our tenants (one that pays us on time every month) is leaving, ASAP, without any notice. That is on top of the tenant that we are trying to kick out because they don't pay us. In March half our rentals will be vacant.
  • Our car was stolen and our car seats as well. I found out on Monday that it won't cost almost $500 to re-key it, it will be almost $700. That's nice.
  • Today Lilah locked herself in the car with my keys. It's not my car. There are no extra keys. I buckled her in, she grabbed the keys out of my hand so I let her keep them while I walked around to the other side of the car to get Madeline in. She hit the 'lock' button on the key fob. They aren't my keys, I don't usually have a key fob. Lilah eventually dropped the keys after hitting the lock button repeatedly, but never the unlock button. I was at Calvin's Kiddie Kollege - my phone was in the car. I was able to borrow a phone to call Mike, he called Pop-A-Lock and they eventually came and let me in, but not before Lilah screamed herself to sleep with me standing outside the car just helplessly watching her. I can see why she was angry at me.
However, I know that eventually bad things will stop happening. Honestly, it could've been worse and things are going to be ok. Maybe I'd better make another list of how good things are going.

  • I'm pretty sure I lost my ring in my house. So it HAS to show up eventually, right?
  • At least I got my visiting teaching done for February and I can still write and call this sister
  • We've advertised both of our properties and we've had a good response and I think we'll have them both rented by April - we are hopeful.
  • We got our stolen car back and only 3 of the 4 carseats were taken and the more expensive and newer one is the one that we still had.
  • I'm thankful that our friends let us borrow their car and that the weather was mild and that Lilah was fine and that someone came and unlocked my car. Stupid key fobs.
  • Oh and the snow storm that was suppose to bring another foot of snow tonight has changed it's course, it's only going to rain! =)
Maybe the blessings that come from this adversity will be amazing!

9 comments:

Susi Daw said...

oh Sally!
I feel for you! Life sometimes gives us lemons and we have to remember to make lemonade. Things will be ok. Just remember all will turn out fine. You have a great attitude, with everything that has been happening. Keep your chin up!

Jana said...

Wow!! And to think, I thought my day was bad! You are an incredible woman! Thanks so much for posting this. I needed it!

Betsy said...

Wow Sally, all I can say is I am sorry.

Sunshine said...

Oh man, You know, I can completely sympathize. Especially about the car stuff AND the lost ring. It took me a LONG time to get the ring back but I did find it. Hang in there!!! Next time I run into you remind me to tell you about when our van was vandalized. Seriously, that sound horrible. So sorry.

Sunshine said...

Oh man, You know, I can completely sympathize. Especially about the car stuff AND the lost ring. It took me a LONG time to get the ring back but I did find it. Hang in there!!! Next time I run into you remind me to tell you about when our van was vandalized. Seriously, that sound horrible. So sorry.

Trina said...

I'm sorry to hear about all the bad luck you've had. I must admit that I had to laugh at the Lilah locked in the car with the keys. I really appreciated your positive outlook in your blog. That is definitely how we should be looking at our trials. You are amazing.

Shorter family said...

Sally Ally,
I am so sorry! I was thinking I was having some bad luck lately, but you definitely win! I hope things start brightening up!
P.S. We are now Virginia residents, we'll have to figure out someday we can get together! We'll let you know if we are ever in Richmond!
-Little J

Jessica said...

Oh man. I get worried about getting locked out of the car with Abe stuck in it, but it hasn't happened yet.I'm sure that was horrible to have to sit there and not be able to get in when she was crying.

Do you have any Irish ancestors? With St. Patty's day coming up maybe a little Irish blood in the family could help turn your luck!

marcalicious said...

are you trying to write a novel about all your experiences? oh me oh my!!!! Poor Sallylicious!!! Good thing you are trying to find the sunlight through the clouds.