Sunday, May 12, 2013

Happy Mothers Day!

We've had a good week and ened it with a great weekend!  I feel like we've celebrated Mother's Day all weekend.  On Friday the older kids all brought home cards for me from school.  They were so sweet!  Mike took Calvin on the Father's and Son's camp out.  I stayed home with the girls and had a great time.  We went out for pizza, bought some treats and came home and watched Ella Enchanted (such a cute movie).  On Saturday we were busy cleaning the house, setting up the pool, and working on our chicken coop.  For Mother's Day Mike got the coop to the point where we could move the chickens out of my house (hooray), he ordered Chinese food for dinner so I didn't have to cook and then on his way home from his meeting that night he stopped and got me a blizzard.  It was a good day!
On Sunday I got more treats and cards from church and then Mike let me read all afternoon - it was very nice.  I felt very loved.

Other news - my seeds are sprouting!  Not very many, but they are coming!  Yeah!  It turns out that the straw I used to cover everything is hay stalks.  It turns out that the hay seeds can grow in the straw - no dirt
required.  The cardboard I laid down is doing a good job stopping the weeds from under it - but isn't doing anything for the weeds that growing on top of it, in my straw!

Calvin went to his first den meeting for cub scouts.  He LOVES it! Hopefully I can keep up with him!

 Why the chickens needed to be moved outside!


 Celeste pretending to be a chicken and checking out the coop!


 The coop isn't quite done by their running area is completely fenced in and safe now.  


 Tomatoes in the front, then some peppers and basil, the third row is my broccoli and the rest of the garden is seeds - hopefully they will be visible soon!

 The girls eating laffy taffy while watching our movie.

Calvin volunteered to take Celeste in the house and help her get her suit on while we put up the pool
 I was cracking up - he didn't know what was so funny

Here she is after I fixed her suit, much more comfortable and way cuter this way!   It was one of the awesome deals Karen helped me find at the Salvation Army.

Our family highlight this week is Madeline.  Madeline is getting tired of school and can't wait to spend the summer swimming.  She loves the chickens, she holds them and tries to train them, watches out for them, and  is a good little mommy for them.  Now that they are outside they are much easier to play with!  Madeline has decided she wants curly hair.  I try to curl her hair, but it's what I call 'string bean straight' and is very uncooperative.   She doesn't understand how mommy can have curly hair and how Anna Elise's takes to the curling iron so well and holds curls but hers won't.  I tried to cheer her up by telling her she has hair like Aunt Trina's - but because Aunt Trina has brown hair she did not understand!  She is still happy and silly except when she is sad and emotional.  Sometimes growing up is hard!  

5 comments:

Jana said...

Happy Mother's Day! I read all afternoon too!

Sara R said...

nice! I'm glad you've had a good week

Trina said...

Happy Mother's Day! You are an awesome mom and I am glad you had a good weekend. Loved all the pictures. Moving the chickens outside sounds like a wonderful present to me. Talia's hair is hard to curl also but she bought this curling wand that actually curls her hair. I also would put curlers in her at night and let her sleep on them. Then her hair is super curly.

Betsy said...

I was going to same thing as Trina, try a curling wand. Glad you had a great Mother's Day.

Nancy said...

That is hilarious about Celeste's swimsuit! Happy belated Mother's Day!