Thursday, August 21, 2008

Long Overdue Update

We have been very busy, but unfortunately haven't take any pictures! So here is my long pictureless update! Sorry.
First - Happy Birthday Mike! I had yet another pregnancy moment and planned a girl's night out to celebrate some upcoming births in our branch on my husband's 30 birthday. I know, it sounds terrible, but really, Mike didn't care. We went out to dinner a couple of days later and he was happy. A few days later we celebrated our 7th Wedding Anniversary. We took our annual over night anniversary trip a week later and had a great time! I LOVE having a sister-in-law nearby that loves my kids! Sean and Rachel took the kids and Mike and I escaped to Appomattox. It's a historic village a couple of hours west of Richmond. We enjoyed a child-free tour of the village, went to a spa, stayed in a great bed n breakfast and ate a lot of really good food! Perfect!
Now for the kids' updates. First is Anna Elise. She is very aware of her birthday and although she is so excited to be five, she also uses it as her 'out' for everything. Anything she doesn't want to do - she tells me she will do when she is five. It's actually funny watching her trying to put everything off - if I let her do it, it would be a miserable birthday! She is also starting to play more on her own, she has quit trying to get rid of Calvin, but she doesn't play with him as often, she is starting to play with her barbies on her own, coloring on her own, and 'reading' books to herself.
Calvin has started playing with Madeline. He loves to torment her, which isn't hard. She is social and loves people, but definately has personal space issues when it comes to other kids. Calvin gets great joy out of poking her until she screams, taking her toys (not to play with, but to get a reaction) and chasing her around the house. They do have fun together too, but Calvin's idea of fun is teasing. He rarely upsets her out of anger, he just doesn't know when it's been enough! They made up a great game the other day - they stood in the bathroom and Calvin filled a cup up with water from the sink and dumped it on her, repeatedly. I came downstairs to find Madeline so wet I rung her clothes out and she had water running down her face. She was grinning from ear to ear and they both had a great time, but it's not really a game to be played in my house! We just took baths right then, Calvin got kicked out of the bathtub early for excessive splashing, I would say that gallons of water on my floor is excessive! After he was out and ready for bed he went back to the bathroom to play with Anna Elise and ended up half way in the tub and soaking wet. I'd had it! He went to bed early. He was in his room changing his pj's, he knew he was in trouble and he knew he was going to bed right after dinner and still he was singing his 'smile' song. Crazy boy!
Madeline is just getting closer to two all the time. We have yet to hear the dreaded 'no' but she does shake her head at you when she doesn't want to do something. It's cute and less annoying! Yesterday she learned the word 'don't' which is almost as bad as no, but not quite. I'm sure it's coming. Her vocabulary is increasing every day. She (like her cousin) is fascinated with the potty. We were eating out and Calvin had to go potty. He left with Daddy, then Anna had to go and she joined them. Madeline was not happy to be left behind. She sat in her high chair screaming that she had to go potty! An 18 month old that is yelling that she needs to use the potty? I sure wish she knew how to use the potty! She is also learning her colors, we have a color book that she loves and she knows most of them.
Sorry for the long blog! I'll try to take pictures and keep up better. I do have some video to
share, but it may be a few days!

2 comments:

Heidi said...

Calvin is quite the teaser and agitator- I was like that. So he should turn out okay. :) But man he keeps you going!

Jana said...

I am glad to hear that our house is not the only crazy one!