Saturday, October 6, 2012

Butterfly

A couple of weeks ago we were digging carrots and found a beautiful cocoon on one of the carrot tops.  The kids were so excited - we carefully put the carrot top and the cocoon in an open mason jar and set it up in the kitchen.  I meant to try to look it up and figure out what kind of butterfly it was but never got around to it.  It was a light green cocoon with a line and several dots of gold - I mean real gilt - metallic looking gold.  I couldn't believe it.  Of course I didn't take a picture of it...We watched it for weeks and Mike became convinced it was never going to open.  This morning I glanced at it and noticed it was black.  I was concerned.  I turned the jar around and realized it was the black butterfly I could see and the orange wings on the other side.  Within a couple of hours the butterfly was out and trying to dry it's wings in a jar while hanging from a dead carrot top.  Mike took him outside and set him up on a branch to give him some stability and room.  The kids were so upset to 'let him go'.  They were worried about him - we tried to explain that it wasn't our butterfly and he'd survive better on his own. The monarch was beautiful and I couldn't believe how small of a cocoon he fit in.  By lunch the butterfly had dried out and flown away.




1 comment:

Emily Marie said...

That is completely awesome! We had butterflies a few months ago but we ordered them online! How cool to have a one from your yard, and so beautiful!!!!