Thursday, November 8, 2012

Moving 'Forward'

You'll have to excuse me, I'm going to depart from my usual family happenings to talk about some personal feelings.  I was so sure that this election would bring about a much needed leadership change and get our country back on the right track.  On Tuesday night as Mike and I sat in our hotel room watching the election results come in I felt so angry.  I was upset and felt physically ill.  I knew that the anger that overwhelmed me was not what I wanted be feeling.  I struggled to find peace.  As I prayed and read and thought I was able to push it down some, but it was still there and I still felt fear and anxiety and just helplessness.  This morning I was driving to the park with my little girls and listened to the radio for just a few minutes.  Glenn Beck was talking about the disappointment of the election and he related it to the book of Jeremiah.  The discussion I listened to brought the much needed peace that I have been looking for and the anger and fear are completely gone.  I still feel disappointment and I still feel anxiety for the future, but I am in a much better place emotionally now.  I wanted to share some of scriptures and discussion with you.  In Jeremiah chapter 29  it says


"4 Thus saith the Lord of hosts, the God of Israel, unto all that are carried away captives, whom I have caused to be carried away from Jerusalem unto Babylon;   Build ye houses, and dwell in them; and plant agardens, and eat the fruit of them;   Take ye wives, and beget sons and daughters; and take wives for your sons, and give your daughters to husbands, that they may bear sons and daughters; that ye may be increased there, and not diminished.   And seek the apeace of the city whither I have caused you to be carried away captives, and pray unto the Lord for it: for in the peace thereof shall ye have peace."

The Israelites were in captivity for 70 years.  They were told to build houses, plant gardens, have families, and to participate in the city they lived in.  Some of us are in a type of captivity in our own country, we are stuck with the consequences of other people's decisions, and we need to just move 'forward' and keep on living, building homes, planting gardens, having families, and serving in our communities to find our peace.  This is the Lord's plan.  This wasn't some mistake or misunderstanding, it's part of the plan.  I don't know if I really like the plan right now, but considering who's plan it is, he knows better then I.  I hope this brings peace to you as well. 


Here's a picture of Lilah at the park. 



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

well written. I too was so sad and heart broken for days after the election, but I have felt peace that things will be okay somehow.

Betsy said...

Thank you for sharing, now I just need to have more faith.