Sunday, March 24, 2013

Crazy Weekend

We had a fairly normal week and I was looking forward to a nice weekend at home with Mike - relaxing and getting started on a long honey-do list.  Then our lives got a bit too exciting - you'd think that by now I'd know better and start expecting these things to happen!  On Friday morning our toilet/shower backed up while Mike was showering and when that happens it rains from the ceiling fan in my kitchen.  Yes, nice!  Mike had to go get tools from his shop, but we eventually got the clog out and everything seemed to be working.  I was still in my pajamas and cleaning up shower/toilet water from my bathroom and kitchen
when the first  guests for playgroup showed up!  I got everything clean enough and changed my clothes in time for our next guests to come.  Then Mike called to say that one of our rentals was vacant.  The tenant was unfortunately in the hospital and her sister had moved her out and hadn't told us.  Not only were we not getting our rent that weekend, we weren't ever getting it.  So while the rest of our playgroup guests showed up I tried to get our rental on craigslist, find the pictures for it (my hard drive crashed 2 months ago and although I had backups, nothing is where it's suppose to be), and try to rearrange some of our automatic payments to account for the lack of rent.  FUN morning!  I spent the afternoon cleaning up more thoroughly, putting a sign in the ground, walking through the rental (the back door was wide open!), and recovering.  On Saturday morning Mike tried to take another shower and it all backed up again!  Seriously!  We got it temporarily under control and then Mike left for a work appointment, then a church meeting and then a lunch date with Anna Elise.  I got to clean everything up AGAIN!  We think it's finally fixed now.  But you never know with an old house!  The only thing we got done was to move our internet cord out of my kitchen.  For the past 18 months it's been in my way in the kitchen.  Mike drilled a hole and we sent Calvin crawling through our attic space and we relocated the wire.  I'm so glad to have it done, but the frustrating thing is that it wasn't even on my list!  We spend what was left of our late afternoon playing outside in the beautiful weather.  There was a snow storm coming on Sunday and we wanted to enjoy the sunshine.  Calvin played with his new baseball and mitt (his bribe to crawl through the attic) and the girls drew with sidewalk chalk.

 Calvin with his flashlight, coming back through the attic after pulling the cord through one hole and pushing it through another.  He was a good sport.


Sidewalk chalk!


I love this picture of Lilah.  She was busily coloring a 'rainbow' on my handrail.  She used two pieces of chalk and kept one under her chin while coloring with the other and then switched them.  Can you see the pink chalk under chin, up against her neck?  Can you see the chalk all over her face, neck and front of her shirt?  Madeline decided to use the chalk as make-up, she didn't want her picture taken but had blush, eye shadow and lipstick on!


Calvin playing catch with his dad.

Our family spotlight this week is Anna Elise.  Anna Elise had her artwork choosen to hang in the library and received a $5 gift card for Chick-Fil-A.  I haven't seen it yet.  She didn't tell me it was in the library until they took it down, now it's hanging up in the school.  Her dad took her to lunch to use her gift card - she was so excited to get a milk shake with her chicken!  She has recently started reading Harry Potter.  She is on book 2 and has decided it's not a good book to read right before going to bed!  She really wants to watch the movies now, but I'm not so sure...

4 comments:

Sara R said...

noooo! That really stinks! I am so sorry! Your kids are so cute, as usual ;)

Jana said...

What a crazy weekend!! I love the chalk pictures, it reminds me of life around here!

Trina said...

So sorry to hear about all the unpleasant surprise you had this weekend. Love the pictures and Calving was brave to crawl through the attic. I hope everything is fixed and you have a better better next weekend.

Heidi said...

How crazy and frustrating! Just when you think you're going to get lots done, nope! I hope the problem got fixed, ugh. And that's stressful about the renters just up and moving without telling you. Calvin was brave to do that. I hate attics and crawl spaces...they scare me! haha! I wish we had a Chick Fil-A around here. Everyone talks about how amazing it is. Never been.