Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Mike's not so fun Adventure

Last night Mike was unloading a few things from the back of our friends suburban (I don't even want to get into why we had stuff in their suburban, it has to do with completely redoing the bathroom for one of our rental properties. If I have to spend that much money on redoing a bathroom, shouldn't I have something to show for it?)

Anyway, he somehow slammed his finger in the hinge side of the back door. He came home around 9pm and told me he needed to go to the ER. I loaded Lilah up in her seat and on our way out the door I called some friends to come sit in our house with our sleeping kids. We took Mike to the nearest ER - which is notorious for long waits. I should've known better and taken him to the next closest ER. I dropped him off and waited until he went back (I was watching through the glass door from my car, I couldn't actually park and go in because I was in my PJ's and had no shoes on, Lilah was screaming, and it's a downtown hospital which means there is no parking) I drove home thinking he had been seen. I found out two and a half hours later that he hadn't been seen, he had been called back to fill out paper work and get a bandage from a nurse. There is no cell service in the ER, phones are not allowed. So he finally called me from outside the hospital to say he hadn't been seen and was in a lot of pain. Luckily our friends had hung around. I got dressed and went and picked him up. I took him another 20 minutes out and went to the nice ER. He was seen right away! They had a nice waiting room, free parking right outside the door, cell phone coverage inside and they were actually polite and helpful! It took over an hour to get him fixed up. Where the door had shut on his finger it had cut his finger nail in two, fractured the bone, and nearly took off the tip of his finger as well. They had to leave the fingernail on as an added protection while the broken bone heals. So they actually sewed his fingernail back together! Is that crazy? It will die and fall off and another one will grow back. He had his wallet, but no insurance card and I didn't have my wallet, but they still helped us and we were even able to fill our prescriptions without too much hassle (Mike will now carry his copy of our insurance card). What a crazy night. We got home close to 3am. Of course Lilah woke up at 4am - just wanting her pacifier, and again at 6 wanting her pacifier again. I had a great night, I think I got 2-3 hours of sleep. Anyway, his finger will be fine. He does need to go see an orthopedic Dr and get it checked out again. It was perfect timing - how are you suppose to tear out a bathroom and replace the floor with a broken and stiched up index finger? Tomorrow will be intersting to say the least. The moral of the story - don't go to the yucky downtown ER unless you are dying! Or - don't break your finger in car doors - either one works!

I guess I need to be grateful that he did it after 8 days of cleaning up bodily fluids from 3 of the kids and not during that awful week of the stomach virus. Atleast this is all coming one thing at a time - right? Don't tell me what's next, I don't want to know!


I told Mike I needed a picture for the blog - I meant a picture of his splint - he didn't realize that so he unwrapped it and took a picture of his finger. I didn't want to see it, but really it doesn't look that bad to me.



5 comments:

Betsy said...

Oh my gosh, what a fun night. I am so sorry. His finger looks like it hurts pretty bad.
Sally, I am not sure if we are coming to DC yet. He just found out his manager is quitting so he is waiting to put his request in until he gets his new manager. I am really hoping we do get to come though.
Hope you get more sleep tonight.

Trina said...

I am sorry to hear about Mike's finger. It looks very painful. What a long long night for you and Mike. Good luck working on the bathroom. I remember when Trent got hit in the face with a hockey puck but luckily we were only in the ER until about midnight or 1:00.

Heidi said...

OUCH! That looks painful. You must be exhausted to say the least. Hang in there.

Sunshine said...

Wow Sally, sounds like you guys have some pretty good adventures:)
Sorry 'bout all that!

marcalicious said...

ouch! poor mike!