Saturday, February 27, 2010

GONE in 60 seconds...

...back in 60 minutes! So, our car was stolen from outside of our house sometime last night. We were enjoying a nice, leisurely Saturday with Mike home and nothing to do when Mike looked out the window and told the kids that "Momma isn't going to have a very good day today." I went running for the window, totally shocked as I looked up and down the street trying to find a reasonable explanation for my car to be gone!

We called the police and the insurance company and neither one of those was helpful. Mike decided to go driving around the area to see if he could find it. Sometimes cars are stolen so kids can go joy riding or whatever. I was irritated that he was going to waste his time looking, there was no way he'd find it. I ate my words. Mike found it. He called the cops, they came, looked at the car, filed another report and left. The didn't investigate, knock on any doors of the houses it was parked next to, dust for finger prints, nothing. USELESS POLICE! We keep our key to the car, in the car (looking back that seems like a bad idea). The car has a keypad to unlock the door. So we keep the door locked, we can get in with the keypad and we always have a key when we need it - no lost keys (that has happened) or passing keys back and forth. Whoever took our car also took our key and kept it. We had no way to get our car home. Mike called a tow truck and had it towed to the dealership. They will order the parts they need to re-key it on Monday. We might have it back on Wednesday - we'll see. Anyone want to guess how much it costs to re-key a car? If you guessed a couple hundred bucks you were WAY low. Try close to $500. Also, the joy riders smoked cigars in my car! It smells like an ashtray now. I think there were several of them and they threw my car seats out to make room. Luckily we had one of them strapped in so well they couldn't get it out, so I only lost 3 of the car seats. I went to Walmart tonight to replace them. Madeline will be thrilled - she is replacing an old yucky black and brown car seat with new pink one that has flowers on it (I couldn't resist - it was the same price as the ugly ones). Luckily we have friends who are loaning us one of their cars. I am VERY thankful that we got our car back, as I contemplated the hassle of buying a new car and having car payments again I was not happy. However, I am still really angry that somebody took my car and just threw my car seats out! I think we'll come up with a new place to put our car keys - when we have car keys again!

9 comments:

Betsy said...

I have been thinking about you all day. I am so glad the car is okay but I would totally be annoyed about the car seats. Wow, $500.

Carolyn said...

So what kids of car do you drive Sally? Glad to hear you got it back!

Sally said...

Ford Freestyle

Jessica said...

Thats horrible! I HATE the smell of smoke from cigarettes or cigars, how awful to have your car violated with that toxic smell. I can't believe that the police didn't do more than that! I'm mad for you!

Trina said...

I am so sorry that your car was stolen, but I am so glad that Mike was able to find it. Cigar smoke is the worst smell and I hope that you can get it out. What a headache.

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry Sally! Shame on those police.

Jana said...

I cannot believe it!! I am so glad you got it back! Sorry about the car seats...

Heidi said...

That is awful!!! I don't like people who steal- it's SO rude and afterwards I feel so violated. I'm glad you guys found it though. What an expensive fix to re-key a car. Who knew?! I hope you get it back soon. Hang in there!

Anonymous said...

What a nightmare