Sunday, October 17, 2010

The Not So Terrible Twos (yet)

 Lilah turned 2 on Thursday!  Even though she had just watched Anna Elise's birthday a few days before she didn't really seem to know what 'birthday' meant.  We talked about her birthday a lot and she just looked at me blankly.  However, when I brought the cupcakes out to the table after dinner and we all started singing to her she knew exactly what to do.  The candles were both blown out before we could finish the song.  Then when we moved into the living room she tore into her presents - so she figured it all out pretty quick!



Lilah is my most independent child.  She is constantly saying "I do it".  For months she has been able to dress herself from head to toe and she does every morning and night!  She puts her clothes on and if they aren't right side out and forward, she takes them off and does it again.  She puts her shoes and socks on too.  She washes her own hands with a stool in the bathroom, just like the other kids.  She climbs into the car, gets into her carseat, gets her straps on and buckles the top strap - all on her own - or else!  It takes her forever - but it's not faster to do it for her because then I have to fight a screaming, flailing toddler!  She carries her own stuff, wants to walk without holding anyone's hand (which I do fight her on in busy parking lots) tries unsuccessfully to cut her own food, and everything else!  For being 'two'  she really is pretty good.  Her temper tantrums are short lived and only occur when she isn't allowed to try or do something for herself.  She gets along well with her siblings, holds her own, and is such a big girl!  She was on her way to being potty trained and had gone in the potty several times when my morning sickness took over everyone's lives and that was abruptly halted - maybe this winter...In the meantime she will continue to try to talk me into letting her change her own diaper (she has been unsuccessful so far, that is one thing I won't let her do).

6 comments:

Jana said...

Happy Birthday Big Girl!

Trina said...

Happy Birthday Lilah! Looks like you enjoyed your cupcakes!

Sunshine said...

Oh Wow. Loved that post it makes me sad that we weren't able to meet Lilah last weekend. I hope you're feeling better. I'd certainly stick with the adult diaper change version. Though you never know:)!

Betsy said...

Such a cute girl.

Michael and Stephanie said...

Happy Birthday Lilah! You are such a cutie and way to hold your own with all those other big personalities in your house!

Jessica said...

Holy moly! I can't believe she does all of that on her own! What a super toddler. I think she needs to come to my house and mentor my 2 1/2 yr old and my 5 yr old. I think mine are just lazy. Well, that and very stubborn.