Monday, December 6, 2010

One of THOSE Weekends

I'm so glad the weekend is over.  It was one of those weekends that you will look back at and laugh about, several YEARS down the road.   It started Friday just past noon.  I was just finishing up the last batch of sugar cookies.  I had dough waiting for Anna and Calvin to play with when they got home and one more pan to bake.  I hadn't fed the little girls lunch yet.  The school called to say Calvin had fallen down at recess, he was ok, but I needed to come get him.  I thought that meant come get him and take him home.  So the girls put their shoes on (but no socks and for such a quick trip I didn't force it).  I left my house slippers on and we jumped in the car.  We got to the school to find Calvin with a pencil sized hole in his head.  It was small but very deep.  The nurse said stitches and I agreed.  So we checked Anna Elise out of school, got in the car and headed to Patient First.  I called a couple of my friends who lived out that direction and found someone at home who was able to watch my very hungry and ill dressed children.  I ran Calvin to Patient First and $25 and an hour later was told that they wouldn't stitch such a deep cut - take him to the ER.  We drove to the ER and checked in there and waited and waited.  I called to check on the girls to find that Lilah hadn't napped and had been crying the whole time.  That was not like her!  We finally got to see the Dr.  It took all of 10 minutes to check him, give him a couple of shots, hold him down and stitch him up. Calvin walked out with 4 stitches and a large blue popsicle.  We got distracted on the 5 minute drive to get the girls and it turned into a 20 minute drive, but oh well.  We finally made it home in time to frantically frost the cookies, eat a light dinner, and get a sick Lilah and a sick Daddy settled and the rest of us loaded up into the car (I also had a minute to put on real shoes!).  We took off for our Primary Party.  We had a great time!

On Saturday I was so behind since I didn't get much of anything done on Friday.  When I tried to catch up on dishes after lunch I discovered a clogged kitchen sink.  Mike tried for hours to fix it, he discovered it was in the main pipe because the bathroom sink made the kitchen pipes drip...So by late afternoon I had dirty dishes and the contents of my 'under the sink cabinet' strewn about my kitchen, not to mention bowls of dirty water, tools, and plumbing stuff all over.  The bathroom was torn apart as well since we had tried to get to the problem from that direction too.  At almost 6pm a plumber finally showed up.  At that point I knew making dinner was out so I did a hamburger run.  By 7:30 the plumber was gone and our clog was too - but my house was a wreck and I was still very behind.  I cleaned everything up and in my hurry grabbed all the bath tub toys and threw them in the dishwasher (they were a casualty of the mess in the bathroom).

On Sunday we woke up to another sick child (Madeline) and Mike was getting worse.  I also discovered that I had put a few non-dishwasher safe bath toys in the dishwasher (along with the safe ones).  My dishwasher was not happy.  It was a mess.  The mess was all over the top rack, dripped onto the bottom rack and settling on the bottom of my dishwasher.  Most of the dishes went back into the sink as I cleaned out my dishwasher!  Not fun!  However, I did get it cleaned out and it is functioning again!

I was relieved to find that we had no major problems today!  Mike is still very sick and his throat hurts so bad he has quit speaking, but he did go see a Dr and we do know that it isn't Strep.  We hope he gets well soon!  the little girls are both feeling better and no one else has gotten sick.  Here's to a very quiet and uneventful week!

 Calvin's Stitches


A sick Lilah and Daddy resting

8 comments:

Heidi said...

OH MY!!!! What a weekend for sure. I can't believe the school didn't tell you he had HOLE in his head! How crazy. I'm glad he's fine though. I hope everyone else feels better too.

Trina said...

Wow your weekend sounds like loads of fun. Does Calvin think his stitches are cool? I have been dealing with a clogged drained off and on since we moved in and I hate it when my kitchen is full of dirty dishes. I'm glad it was fixed. I hope you have an uneventful and healthy week.

Sunshine said...

Way to hang in there. Calvin looks so pleasant about his stitches!

Michael and Stephanie said...

Sounds like fun! J/K Sorry for the crazy weekend and I'm pretty sure Calvin has already had more stitches then I have in my lifetime.

Jessica said...

Yikes!! Poor Calvin! What did he hit his head on when he fell? I can't believe they didn't give more detail over the phone. And while it is not as serious as stitches...I am very glad your dishwasher is working and didn't suffer permanent damage. Life without a dishwasher, especially when you are pregnant, is a lot more difficult.

Jana said...

when it rains, it pours!
Hang in there!

Anonymous said...

Ugh! What a horrible week! I'm so sorry! I hope the next weekend makes up for it

Anonymous said...

Sometimes I wonder why life is so crazy. I guess with 4 children it's supposed to be eh? Keep smiling!!! You are handling it like a pro.