Sunday, March 8, 2009

CRAZY

I've had one of those weeks that make you wonder what in the world you are doing. Everything went wrong. By the end of the week some things were right again. I had to wait and blog about it now so that I don't cry or explode while posting. It's almost funny now!
First the weather was crazy. A week ago we had upper 60 degree weather - amazing. Sunday night it started snowing and didn't stop for 18 hours. It dumped about 8 inches of snow here. For those of you out west who are wondering what the big deal is - we don't get snow here. It hasn't snowed and stuck since the first winter we moved here - that was seven years ago. Everything shut down. Everything except for
the newspaper. Mike got up and went for his first day on the job. He was suppose to meet his supervisor to get trained. He was almost there when he noticed something
on the road. Because he was driving in deep snow he decided that braking or swerving was not a good idea. He slowed down and ended up driving over it. It popped his tire. 2 hours later he was back home, very cold and very tired with a broken car and hadn't delivered a single paper. That was dumb. He spent all morning trying to get it replaced - but everyone was either closed or didn't have the right tire, he finally got it replaced that afternoon. It really took ALL day!
Anyway, other things that happened: Anna's school was closed both days. Schools were actually closed for 3 and a half days! Not necessary! Our pipes under the house froze - I had no water for a day, we ended up going out for dinner that night, we drove there during rush hour, got the kids unloaded and on our way in, realized that we didn't have our wallets - we drove home, Madeline was not happy, she doesn't understand about money yet. The furnace in one of our rental properties died (yes died) and we had to put them up in a hotel since it got down to 10 degrees that night. It took 3 days to fix the furnace! We had tenants move out of a unit and totally trashed the carpets - the house needs new carpet, paint, trim, everything it's just awful, I had a pinched nerve for three days - so I had intermittent chest pains under my ribs when I breathed, the snow melted after three days and now there is mud EVERYWHERE - in my house, all over my car, the kids clothes - I did a lot of laundry this week. Oh, and Madeline ate a cube of margarine. How gross is that? She walked by with it, unwrapped and in her mouth. I said 'Madeline' and by the time I got to her she had found the wrapper and was trying to wrap it up again, but still eating it. I can't even remember what else happened - lots of little things that are usually fine, but not welcome when dealing with disasters like no water or no tire. The weather has warmed back up - it was 80 degrees today. Where else do you get 10 degree lows and 80 degree highs in the same week? They say in Richmond if you don't like the weather, wait a minute, it will change! I've included some pictures of the snow and the margarine eating incident. I hope you all had a better week then I did! (Note to Mom: I'll be doing a Lilah post on Monday, I promise!)

6 comments:

Jenny said...

Oh my goodness, Sally! What a week, I hope this next one is way better!

Heidi said...

What a crazy week! How stressful to deal with all of the things going on with your rental properties and your own life! I hope things get better.

Jessica said...

Take courage! My little brother used to eat margarine by the spoonful and he turned out just fine!

Jana said...

I have to tell you that your post made me laugh and laugh. Sorry about all of the stress, better luck next week!

Trina said...

What a week. I am sorry that your week was so stressful. Hopefully this week will be much better. Good luck with all of your rental property problems. I love the pictures of Madeline eating the margarine. Your post did make me smile. Thanks for sharing.

Betsy said...

I am so sorry about everything, that is a pretty bad week. That is so disgusting with the butter. Kids and butter, I have never understood.